Cancer Trials

The Challenge

This cancer trial database is a service of a large government agency and is designed to facilitate access to hundreds of government-funded clinical trials and to support the management and conduct of those clinical trials. I was tasked with demonstrating the viability and value of a tablet-based, UX overhaul.

  1. How could a tablet-first web app be utilized by our users in clinics, offices, and hospitals?
  2. How can I improve their workflow both inside and outside of the system?

My Process

I began by interviewing users regarding their usage of the current site while also gathering information from the client-side development team. I took my lessons learned from the user interviews and created two documents. First, a backlog and personas to help inform the release phases and acceptance criteria, and secondly conceptual wires illustrating two theoretical directions for the app: (1) Smart Search & Find and (2) Collaboration.

The former focused on streamlining the user experience into a simple and clear layout that facilitated easy access to protocol documents and site registration statuses. The latter was a much loftier approach that organized the content in areas to foster collaboration and discussion as well as extending the functionality to support these interactions.

Conceptual Wireframes

Search & Find, Phase 1 Conceptual Wireframe

Annotated Wireframes

Wireframe for Site Orientation
Wireframe for Prior to Assessment landing
Wireframe for Prior to Assessment video
Wireframe for Prior to Assessment, Update Student List
Wireframe for Prior to Assessment, Add New or Missing Students

I moved forward with Direction 1: Smart Search & Find for this initial phase but discussed how elements from Direction 2 could be integrated later in the project. This direction allowed for three entries into the data: search by protocol number (very common), browse protocols, and view saved protocols. Wireframes were created to illustrate the chosen direction and give our design and development teams references to begin building the project. I broke up this work into 5 releases, leading into final testing and documentation sprints. During each Release, I provided the team with acceptance criteria to approve, not approve, and comment on.

React Prototype

Protocol look up
Protocol look up
Protocol look up