This cancer trial database is a service of a large government agency and is designed to facilitate access to hundreds of government-funded clinical trials and to support the management and conduct of those clinical trials. We were tasked with demonstrating the viability and value of a tablet-based, UX overhaul.
We began by interviewing users regarding their usage of the current site while also gathering information from the client-side development team. We took our lessons learned from the user interviews and created two documents. First, a backlog and personas to help inform our release phases and acceptance criteria, and secondly conceptual wires illustrating two theoretical directions for the app: (1) Smart Search & Find and (2) Collaboration.
The former focused on streamlining the user experience into a simple and clear layout that facilitated easy access to protocol documents and site registration statuses. The latter was a much loftier approach that organized the content in areas to foster collaboration and discussion as well as extending the functionality to support these interactions.
We moved forward with Direction 1: Smart Search & Find for this initial phase but discussed how elements from Direction 2 could be integrated later in the project. This direction allowed for three entries into the data: search by protocol number (very common), browse protocols, and view saved protocols. Wireframes were created to illustrate the chosen direction and give our design and development teams references to begin building the project. We broke up this work into 5 releases, leading into final testing and documentation sprints. During each Release, we provided the team with acceptance criteria to approve, not approve, and comment on.